History of Krabi


Krabi was administered from Nakhon Si Thammarat,former named “Pakasai” In 1875 it was made a direct subordinate of Bangkok (King Rama V period), becoming what is now a province. In 1890 the governor by Phraya Ratsadanupradit Mahison Phakdi (Khaw Sim Bee na Ranong) moved the seat of the province from Ban Talad Kao to its present location at the mouth of the Krabi river to trading with foreigner

It is believed the town may have taken its name from the word "krabi", which means sword. This may stem from a legend that an ancient sword was unearthed prior to the city’s founding.


OSM Andamnan: The Office of Strategy Management for Southern Province Cluster

Phuket Provincial Governors New Office (2nd floor)

Tel: +66 (0)76 212 222, Fax: +66 (0)76 213 222

E-mail: osmandaman@moi.go.th

Copyright © 2555 The Office of Strategy Management for Southern Province Cluster (OSM Andaman)

Design by Phuket Best Group